Friday, March 12, 2010

Oh Crap

Some matters I simply file away in my mind, and others I don't think about ahead of time.

My best friend from college and I were catching up last Friday and she mentioned something about that awful term, "potty training." She started her two girls out at a very young age, placing them on the toilet {like around 1-yr I think?} so they would get used to the feel of the seat and wouldn't be afraid of the flushing. My mom never had an issue with me as I gladly self-trained at 21-months and she advised that all 5 of us kids pretty much trained ourselves once we were ready; she introduced the idea but never put pressure on us and we did it in our own time.

But what I really hadn't thought through was what happens when you try to potty-train a little boy? YUCK!

Boys are so very different from girls {obviously}...and I hadn't really thought about how I'm not going to be able to teach Mason about how to pee standing up. Omigoodness, as I type this I'm realizing I've crossed that "let's talk about our kids toilet manners, gross habits, and where they put their hands" line...ahhhhhh!

{L-R: BabyBjorn, Graco, Boon, Fisher Price, unknown}
    And while we have a long while {perhaps he won't even be interested until after he's 2}, I have lots of questions now that the subject was breeched last weekend:
    • Do you teach boys to pee sitting down?
    • And if so, what's this I read about facing backwards on a big toilet {to encourage directional peeing}?
    • Do the splash guards really work?
    • When do they learn to pee standing up?
    • If it's just Mommy teaching the little boy to pee, does she let him watch her pee to learn?
    • Do people really put trainer pots in their kitchens?
    • You know I don't even know if I should teach Mason to wipe if he just urinates- do little boys do that?
    • What's this Cheerio and M&M trick where you put Cheerios in the toilet to get them to aim and you feed them M&Ms once they do it...should you even have food in the bathroom?
    • Do you have a baby potty in every bathroom? Or at least on each floor of the house?
    • Which one is the best potty for boys?

    2 comments:

    Rachel said...

    lol...I only laugh because I was once in this exact situation and freaking out myself.
    I think it's gross to have a potty in the kitchen...I just can't do that!
    I taught Nate how to pee sitting down. It just worked better for me in the beginning. I taught him how to pee standing up when he was around three and let him go to the bathroom with my dad or uncle , etc. to get the idea of the urinal-because I had no clue!
    We just had a Fisher Price potty until he started peeing standing up and then we got him a stool and the seat that fits on the toilet for...well...the other. ;o)
    What worked best for me (after I had introduced him to the potty for a few months) was to put him in big boy underwear. It took him a little while (and LOTS of dirty laundry!), but he hated being wet and messing his clothes up. Within a few days he was completely trained. :o)

    The Turner Family said...

    I am so glad that you asked this, because I don't have clue!! :)

     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker