Sunday, August 2, 2009

So There's This Guy I've Been Sleeping With...

It's CONFESSION time.


So, there's this guy I've been sleeping with for almost 6 months now...and it's time to move him to the crib!
Mason's almost 6 months and we've been co-sleeping since he was born. It's a personal choice I made as a single mom...as a breastfeeding mom...as a quasi "Attachment Parenting" mom...and it's worked for us thus far. But he's at an age where he no longer requires nutrition during the night AND it's starting to get tough for both of us because we're waking each other up every two hours. I've also found he's beginning to rely on using me as his pacifier throughout the entire night...for comfort and not for milk (and it's starting to really hurt!). So it's time to wean him from my bed and to his big boy crib.

I'm not a fan of the Ferberzing "cry-it-out" method. The week before last and this past week when I was in town (I traveled to Orlando for 3 days on business), I had some success just nursing him to sleep and then placed him in the crib (although I must add that we went through this process a couple of times each night because the little booger was hyper-sensitive to me lowering him into the crib and would often wake up as soon as he felt I was moving him away from my body). And then this past week when I returned from 2 nights of being away, I let him co-sleep so we could rebond; this was also partially to reboost my supply which had taken a dip from being away from him for almost half the week (staying near your baby helps with lactation).But TONIGHT I let him cry-it-out. I felt not-so-great to let him do it and I'm actually typing this to try and keep occupied during the 10-minute intervals (I check on him every 10 minutes). He is DOG MAD!

Praise God! It took only 3 checks (where I went to his crib and patted him and tried to assure him that I was still there and love him). So that means he finally passed out on his own after ~30 minutes or so. I'm so happy he's asleep in his own crib but it sure does suck thinking about how mad and upset he was. At least he didn't cry himself to sleep. After 25 minutes, he began razzing so I knew he was fine. After a couple of minutes, he's out like a light!
Tonight didn't take that long for him to get to sleep, but I'm a little fearful for the nights when it might take an hour or more. I know I'll have to be consistent, but it really tugs on my heart strings when he cries...

1 comment:

The Penter Family said...

If you are consistent about it for 2 or 3 nights in a row, he will be trained. It really happens that fast! Good Luck! It's nice once they start sleeping in their own room :)

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker