Friday, October 23, 2009

Mommy Questions

The thing about Parenting is...there's no manual. There are so many decisions, big and small, that must be made regarding the safety, health, and upbringing of children. So it's no surprise that Mommies turn to their mothers, family members, friends, medical professionals, and the Internet for suggestions and advice.

And while I don't necessarily think the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) is the know-all, end-all...they're certainly some of the best medical experts out there. Personally I haven't followed all of the AAP recommendations, but for the most part I find them a healthy guide. I think you should use your own Mommy intuition which trumps their advice...unless of course you have poor Mommy skills/intuition {**insert chuckle**}. Here are some of the more common Mommy questions and the AAP's opinion on the issues:

How early can I start my child on solid foods?

Most babies are ready between 4-6 months.

When can my child be in a forward-facing car seat?

At minimum, they should be at least 22 lbs AND 1 year old. {there's a joint conditional here}.

What are the safest sleep conditions / How can I reduce SIDS?

Place baby on their back to sleep, the safest place to sleep is in the same room {but not in the same bed}, and bumpers should not be "pillow" like. Find more HERE

Should we circumcise our son?

It's a personal opinion; HERE are the pros and cons to both options.


Should I breastfeed my baby?

Breastfeeding is the best nutrition for baby, it provides important disease and infection-fighting substances, and there are many psychological and medical benefits for both mother and baby.

No comments:

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker