Friday, October 31, 2008

It's The Most Natural...

...way to ruin your breasts!
I'm talking about breastfeeding.

I definitely want to breastfeed Mason because:
  • it's the best nutrition for him
  • it is a bonding time between mother and child
  • it will help my body become more healthy post-partum
  • it's economical
But I'd never really read what goes into breastfeeding. I'd only heard general statements that people had told me {i.e. your boobs are guaranteed to be saggy afterwards, tales of mastitis, and that cognitive, emotional, and social skills are significantly stronger in breastfed babies}
BUT no one told me about these things:

  1. your baby may not "naturally" take breastmilk...it's a laborious process for both parties
  2. if you breastfeed, you're supposed to keep up with which breast you fed from last because you're supposed to empty one before you change to the other (sheesh, I can't even remember if I took my prenatal pills some days)
  3. speaking of which, I'm supposed to continue with my prenatal vitamins while breastfeeding
  4. nursing babies aren't supposed to be given bottles or pacifiers because their sucking reflex can become a lazy learned response (i.e. they don't suck as hard)
  5. a single feeding can last up to 45 minutes and while I thought, "oh I can watch TV or do small handheld chores, or read a book" No No No, you're supposed to sit still, hold your baby and bond 12 different times a day...at least at the beginning. Sheesh, that's almost half of an entire day
  6. breastfeeding burns about 500 extra calories a day
  7. if your baby has finished feeding but still has suction on your breast, you can't just pull the baby's mouth away because this can cause injury to your nipple (OUCH!)
  8. leakage is almost guaranteed, and it can happen at anytime: sleeping, taking warm showers, when you hear a baby crying, when you think/talk about your baby
  9. wet tea bags and cooled cabbage leaves are home remedies for sore boobies
  10. and lastly these 3 scary new terms that seem to be inevitable: engorgement, clogged milk ducts, sore and cracked nipples

So now I understand why that bottle is so tempting for some mommies...

3 comments:

Tesney said...

I keep forgetting to check this blog and am just catching up on the last few entries. So, when you're preggers everyone likes to give advice. You shouldn't listen to any of it. Having said that, here is my advice. Tee hee.

I breastfed but wasn't particularly excited about it at first. Let me be the first to tell you that all those things you are worried about...some of them may happen...but most won't. Just let it come naturally because baby will know if you are stressed. It's very natural so TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS. I would say that is my only advice for all parts of being a mommy...just trust yourself!

The Penter Family said...

Hey Girl. I promise breat feeding is not as hard as the the things you have been reading. I can read, watch tv, check my e-mail and now even SLEEP while I'm nursing! My biggest piece of advice to you...get a good breast pump and a Boppy!

Ba Dunc a Dunc's said...

I couldn't breast feed Zeke b/c I had the breast reduction. You remember how busty I was! I wound up with deflated balloons but let me tell you...it was worth every moment. I can remember looking at those little eyes roll back into her head like she had just experienced the best thing in the world. It's great! Isabelle had to have a bottle first b/c after 18 hours of labor I was knocked out! When I finally was able to breast feed later that day, she took to it like a champ. She breast fed when she felt like it and I supplemented with formula. It worked out great! I can tell you now, it beats getting up to make a bottle when you can put them in bed with you to eat in the middle of the night! Also, I shed weight really quickly.

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker