Wednesday, December 3, 2008

God Heal Us

I took my Glucose Screening Test today; I'd been concerned as there is a higher incidence of Gestational Diabetes in Asians. Thankfully I don't have it...yea!

However, I did find out that I'm slightly Anemic. This was almost a sigh of relief because I'd been wondering about my fatigue and lack of energy. An iron supplement will easily fix that one.

The scariest news today is that I've developed Gestational Hypertension (high blood pressure). This visit and the last, my blood pressure was 140/80. I asked my Dr. what the concerns were and he advised I will need to be monitored at each visit hereafter because if it's sustained, that could be signs of me developing Toxemia, or the more commonly used term Preeclampsia.

Prior to the pregnancy, my blood pressure was healthy, my BMI was great, and I was not overweight or unhealthy in general; nor did I fit into any of the risk categories. It only occurs in 5-8% of all pregnancies.

The hypertension has developed since getting pregnant and the frightening thing is high blood pressure can mean restricted blood flow to Mason and he could have low birthweight, could be born prematurely with cerebral palsy, or worse yet could be stillborn. With Preeclampsia, it's scary for me as it could severely damage my kidneys, liver, and/or brain, can cause seizures, and in severe cases cause death.

The only "cure" for Preeclampsia is delivery of the baby. Mason may be born prematurely (Preeclampsia is responsible for 15% of premature births in the US each year) or induced preterm.

{Please keep us in your prayers}

3 comments:

Tiffany Norris said...

Will definitely be praying! Take care.

The Penter Family said...

my sister in law had preclampsia. but, my niece was born perfectly healthy and not early at all. so try not to worry.
i will say there was a down side to it though...she swelled up REALLY bad the last month or so. she couldn't even get her feet into shoes!

Tesney said...

I had GD and PE...and clayton was born at 38 weeks perfectly healthy! :) I did swell. :( But it went completely away within days after delivery. :)

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker