Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Get Well Soon

Thank you so much everyone for your thoughts and prayers. It was so sweet for those that messaged, e-mailed, or called to check up on us...we're definitely loved!

I wanted to share a few quick things that I've learned so that maybe it'll help other mommies who haven't yet experienced this.

FRIDAY
Friday I took Mason into the Dr's office because I worried about him having more than a simple cold; I knew this time it wasn't just teething {symptoms blew up overnight}. Dr. C found that Mason had double ear infections and he prescribed the antibiotic Amoxicillin which helps treat bacterial infections. Mason was prescribed Amoxicillin in December and it caused such a nasty diaper rash that it actually scarred part of his little booty {still there from 1.5 months ago} NOT COOL! What I had previously researched was that antibiotics can cause diarrhea {yep} and a yeast diaper rash {duh}, but what hadn't been shared was that no amount of Desitin / A+D ointment / Boudreax's Butt Paste, airing out of his diaper, or using a washcloth and water instead of wipes, would help "cure" the open-wound rash.

Finally, I had a nurse recommend putting Lotrimin AF {yes, the antifungal cream used for Athlete's Foot} in addition to all the other steps. It cleared EVERYTHING up that very day...perhaps within hours.
Thank you God!

MONDAY
Monday morning, Mason's symptoms were only worse.

That's not supposed to happen.

We made yet another visit to Dr. C and found that Mason has Bronchiolitis that progressed from RSV; the great news is that we caught it pretty early. The other piece of good news is that if he had to catch this virus, it's a blessing that he didn't get this at an earlier age {under 6 months and they often hospitalize for RSV or progressive infections caused by RSV}.

By the way, aside from acquiring a virus through eyes, nose, mouth, or inhalation {like when someone coughs}, germs from RSV virus can live for hours on an object or surface. And the virus is so contagious that exposure to a contaminated item pretty much means you'll catch RSV. YUCKY!

Mason's looking up what Dr. Sear's has to say about RSV and Bronchiolitis.

I'm administering an Albuterol inhalant every 4 hours as needed. Mason's been great about the inhaler and actually smiles and laughs during the treatment. What a sweet baby!

TUESDAY
I actually woke with a sore throat and a cloudy head. I took a "sick day" to care for Mason and myself. After some rest my symptoms were relieved on their own as the day progressed.

Mason, on the other hand was feeling much, much better. Here he is playing Hide and Go Seek with the bifold doors yesterday.

TODAY {WEDNESDAY}

Mason seems to be doing quite well. I'm hoping that he'll be fully recovered this week. Tomorrow's his birthday and I'm remembering that it's ironic that this time last year I had a cold during labor and delivery with him. My throat was slightly sore this morning, but again it's definitely better since I've been up and active.

Hopefully our household will be healthy and happy ASAP!

1 comment:

The Turner Family said...

I hope that you are both feeling better!! I know all too well how scary RSV can be..poor little man.

Hoping for a happy healthy house for you soon!!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker