Saturday, May 2, 2009

Things I Wish I'd Known About Breastfeeding

...that it's not really FREE. You have to invest in things like a pump, nursing bras, milk storage bags, and nursing pads.

...that all of my tops are too tight while I'm still nursing Mason. I'm guessing that after we wean, I'll have opposite sizing issues.

...that out of my entire closet, probably only 4 or 5% of my clothes will be worn due to the mechanics of breastfeeding (ie. no one-piece dresses unless the top part can easily be pulled down, or unbuttoned).

...that using a breast pump will make me feel like a dairy cow, will sometimes hurt, and be annoying to hook-up to.

...that I have an insatiable thirst and crave the most fattening foods throughout the day.

...that no matter how hard I try, I'm still not comfortable nursing in front of other people even while completely covered.

...that because of the above, I have to predetermine the logistics of any outing/errand/visit/visitor/activity/etc.




And even after all of that- I'm so thankful to be able to nurse Mason


...because I eat more now than when I was preggers AND after 2 1/2 months, I've already lost 40 lbs of the pregnancy weight (16 lbs more to go!).

...because he can get his food on demand (it's ready on-the-spot) and I don't have to mix or heat up a bottle every time.

...because when he's upset or injured (read here and here), I can nurse him and he immediately falls into a euphoric state of joy.

...because it costs less.

...because it's helping build his immune system, blah blah, it's the best nutrition for him, blah blah, I have a very healthy and rapidly progressive infant, blah blah... (note the "blah blah"s are not sarcastic inserts but rather fillers for the standard pros that we all know about the health benefits of breastfeeding).
_______________________________
Other pointless tidbits
Obviously, my perception of Breastfeeding has changed from 6 months ago and it's amazing to me that we've only been doing this 2.5 months...I feel like it's been twice as long. Mason's a "pro" at breastfeeding; he's still a voracious eater, nursing 8-9 times a day and taking around 30-35oz a day. I currently have a stash of 80+ storage bags- that's more than 325oz of milk! I'm using up 1.5 shelves of my freezer and will invest in a deep freezer eventually. I've also sewn my own pair of reusable nursing pads as a cost-saving move (a box of 60 disposables can cost from $6-10).

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I wish I would have known my breasts would look like socks with rocks in them.

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker