Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Mommy Debates

It amazes me how many controversial issues there are regarding pregnancy, labor and delivery, how to care for a newborn, and how to raise a child:
  • diet and exercise
  • epidural use
  • induction (whether elective or not)
  • C-section (whether elective or not)
  • circumcision
  • use of bumper pads
  • sleeping position
  • breastfeeding
  • formula use
  • living and sleeping environment
  • developmental tools (toys, personal interaction techniques, TV, Internet, music exposure, etc.)

And I use the word "Controversial" because so many people seem to have very strong opinions on these particular subjects. Whether it be from a mother's perspective, a grandmother's perspective, a nurse's medical opinion, or an Obstetrician or Pediatrician's medical opinion...a lot of people consider themselves subject-matter experts on these topics.

I don't write this to deter advice-offering Mommies or nurses, as I've readily asked specific people for their suggestions and personal experiences, but sometimes it's tough when an unwarranted and unsolicited comment is slipped-in and has no real constructive use.

_______________________

I feel very blessed to have had some great words of wisdom from my Mom. And while Mom was never able to experience pregnancy, labor or delivery, she has told me that once this Baby is born, she could share a plethora of knowledge and wisdom from first-hand experience. And I trust her, because I'm biased of course, but also because I know her credentials as a Mom include:

  1. succesfully raised 5 healthy children from infancy to adulthood
  2. experience as an educator
  3. pioneered the role of being a (female) Children's Minister at 2 churches
  4. was actively involved in children's advocacy groups i.e. Council on Adoptable Children (she was President of Texas CoAC)
  5. passed state legislation regarding the rights and protection of children of adoption

So she has a wealth of knowledge and first-hand experience on the homefront, in the classroom, with spiritual development, and on the political scene.

Mom's Advice:

She told me to be aware that many people may want to freely offer me suggestions and advice- that they will feel the need to share how their methods of childcare are the best, that they will expect for me to raise Mason the same way they're raising their children, that they will be appalled if my choices differ from their own...

But that in reality, every pregnancy, birth story, and child-raising will be different and there is no specific methodology to being a good parent. My goal is to love this little child unconditionally, and the most important thing...raise him up knowing the Lord. Bathing this child in prayer and turning things over to God, What earthly knowledge, advice or suggestions can trump that?!?!

So I should take everything else with a grain of salt!

THANK YOU MOMMA

1 comment:

The Penter Family said...

Good Advice. That is definitely the MOST important thing and the ONLY thing that will ultimately matter. Your mom is a smart lady! Good Luck on Wednesday. I'll be praying for you and Mason. I can't wait to see what he looks like!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker