Mason developed a weird rash tonight, it must itch and is definitely a sensitive spot. I didn't notice it at all until I drew his bathwater (~7:45pm) and he yelped when the hot water touched it and then later kept lifting his shirt and poked at it with a toy.
It's on his trunk in 3 areas. The largest 2 are almost symmetrical, placed right below the ribs. The third spot is right under his belly button. WEIRD!
He has a very low-grade temp (100.9 rectal) and no other symptoms. And NO, this post is not going in the journal...but I did want to post pics in case any one can give their Mommy advice so I don't have to pay out-of-pocket expenses to go to the Pedi just to have them tell me there's nothing they can do (DARN, why did this have to happen right after my former employer cancelled insurance but before my individual BCBS picks up on June 1?).
I'm going to monitor to see if it spreads and then will call the Pedi tomorrow morning to see what they say. I did do the "glass tumbler check" and know that it's not a petechial rash (so it's NOT meningitis) I'm sure he's likely fine... It is possible we could have had secondary contact from someone whose child has hand-foot-mouth disease today BUT she was still very careful and I made sure to use Purell the moment we hit the car and there wasn't any direct contact. Although if it were HFM disease then at least it'd be an "easy cure" with at-home remedies (HFM Disease is viral & there aren't clinical treatments it just has to run its course). Who knows!
4 comments:
Bless him; I would just do some hydrocortisone cream and maybe keep his shirt off today if you are in the house! That way it will stay cool and dry. Lots of heat and moisture may make it worse and more itchy. I don't know what that could be though.
Try the hydrocortisone cream... like Haley suggested. It will probably clear up on it's own. Colton gets wierd rashes like that all the time. I wouldn't even take him to the doctor yet... If if doesn't go away in a day or two or if it seems like he is in pain, then I would take him.
Poor thing, I hope he gets better. He has such a cute belly!
Ohhh THANK Y'ALL so much for your sweetness & the mommy advice. It actually faded significantly this morning and one side almost looked like it had "scabbed" so I've been using the cream all day today. Poor guy has 3 nasty mosquito bites on his right arm (I saw the bug so I knew that "rash") and then his poor tummy too. No fever at all today though and I'm fairly certain that he only had that low grade due to teething (he officially cut his 1st molar last night too-oh the pain!).
I never even called the Pedi because after looking at things online and going through my baby books, apparently rashes are common in infants/toddlers. It's just weird for Mason because he's only had 5-6 diaper rashes his whole life & 3 of those were from the antibiotic pH imbalance....we're just not used to skin stuff yet.
Post a Comment