Monday, March 16, 2009

got milk?

What a sucker!
Actually, we've had a great past 4 1/2 weeks with the whole nursing bit. Mason has been a barracuda baby and I've had more than adequate supply-so much that when we weighed this past weekend, Mason is now at 10 lbs 2 oz. Yep, in 4 1/2 weeks, he's gained 3.5 lbs! He cluster-fed at week 3 because of this growth spurt, and while my little chunk is filling-out so quickly, I keep reading that breastfed babies can't nurse too often. Evidently if he does, he'll spit up the excess.
Mason's a "boob man"
We attended a La Leche League meeting a week ago because I was interested in a breastfeeding support network and resources, especially for when I return to work. Ideally I'd like to breastfeed at least 1 year, but I'm making my goals in 3-month increments. I feel really good about our Nursing- we've bonded, we're latching properly, I'm not "damaged," we've tried out every position, Mommy's losing weight, but most importantly he's gaining weight in the healthiest way possible.
Stocking up
From 1 1/2 weeks, I've been trying to build up a freezer stash. Mason does a great job with the bottle and doesn't seem to have any nipple confusion issues. Pumping-wise, I've expressed around 150oz so far and have stored a little more than 40 bags, although we've tapped into that supply to introduce the bottle to Mason.
Got Milk?
I'd like to increase my supply slightly so I'll have an adequate freezer supply; I've tried a few galactagogues. Mother's Milk Tea doesn't seem to significantly increase my supply nor does it appear to affect my let-down. Today I baked some Lactation Cookies and they're very yummy! Even if these don't increase my supply, I'm happy to gulp these down!
Here's the recipe, it makes a huge batch.

1 comment:

The Penter Family said...

Just make sure you drink LOTS of water!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker