Thursday, September 8, 2011

School Days

Mason's starting a Mother's Day Out Program and it's bittersweet. I'm so thankful that he's going because it'll give him a steady social outlet in addition to our storytimes and playdates, but going to "school" at the age of 2 years just seems like it's accelerating his childhood a little and there's a tiny part that tugs this mother's heartstrings.

But check out this keepsake photo I caught of Daddy walking hand-in-hand with Mason on Orientation Day!
For weeks prior, I'd pointed out his "School" everytime we drove by so he knew the building was something special.
Here he is first walking in to meet his teacher Mrs K. She was quite the understanding teacher as I explained this was the first scheduled time away from home {no daycare, preschool or steady time away from Mommy prior to MDO} and she was very kind and welcoming to Mason.
And so we got home and the next morning practiced getting his school gear together for the first day of school that week!
We decided it was best for Daddy to take him to his first school day. It was more likely that he'd be brave with him. No tears!
Here he is carrying his new dog lunchbox to match his backpack.
He had a his special hook and nook for his things:
And then of course after the short school day was over {it's only 4.5 hours}, he was all grins when I came to pick him up!
Now, he's like "I'm too cool to stay home with Mommy"
And in the first full week of school, Mrs K awarded him with a "Leader" position because he was the only child who consistently helped clean up without anyone asking!

So he got a monster cookie as a reward...it was the size of his head.
And as for me now? I really look forward to his School Days! Mason has been thriving in this setting and it gives Dakota Kate and me some rare one-on-one time. All is well!

No comments:

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker